Cloud networks are Abiquo's self-service virtual networks.
Features of the private network type are as follows:
- Available in private cloud and cloud providers with networking support
- Abiquo may synchronize networks in cloud providers
- Created in the context of a VDC, which can have multiple private networks
- A default private network is always created, even if another type of network is the default for the VDC
- Private networks are tracked against resource allocation and are chargeable
- Abiquo assigns VLAN tags automatically from the tags the administrator defined for the rack. Abiquo can also use SDN systems to manage private networks
- You cannot reserve addresses, e.g. as ‘static’ IPs
This network also exists outside a VDC or even outside the Abiquo environment. Features are:
- Created at datacenter level and assigned to an enterprise, which can have multiple external networks
- It is fully configurable - the network address and VLAN tags are specified by the administrator
- VMs can access other VMs on other VLANs with the same tag if they are on the same IP subnet, etc.
- An external network can be selected as the ‘default’ network for an Enterprise in a datacenter or a VDC
- IPs assigned from an external network are not tracked against resource allocations and are not chargeable
- Administrator creates IPs, and makes them available or unavailable, and can quarantine IPs
- Reserved IPs can be used for static assignment for gateways, firewalls, control DHCP assignment, user static IP assignment
- Abiquo can use SDN systems to manage IPs in external networks
This network also exists outside a VDC. Features are:
- Created at the datacenter level and assigned to an enterprise, which can have multiple unmanaged networks
- A type of external network
- It is fully configurable - the network address and VLAN tags can be specified by the user.
- An unmanaged network can be selected as the ‘default’ network for an enterprise in a datacenter or a VDC
- The network configuration must be assigned to the VM outside of Abiquo, e.g. corporate DHCP server
- IPs assigned from an unmanaged network are not managed in Abiquo or tracked against resource allocations and are not chargeable
- It is not possible to reserve IPs in the unmanaged network.
Public networks are typically used only for providing incoming connections on Internet routable IPs. Features of this type of network are:
- Created at cloud level, usually for use by mutliple enterprises
- IP addresses MUST be manually made available and then selected (reserved) for a specific VDC and then attached to the VM
- Assigned IPs are tracked against allocations and can be billed for
- Cannot be assigned as the default network for an Enterprise but can be assigned as a VDC default
- Abiquo can use SDN systems to manage IPs in public networks
Floating Public IP
This type of IP address is not attached to a specific Abiquo network. If the cloud provider supports floating public IPs (e.g. AWS Elastic IPs), a floating public IP can be purchased by an enterprise from the public cloud provider for a virtual datacenter and assigned to a virtual machine.