This page describes how to create and launch a VM in Amazon using Abiquo
Author: Eduardo Fernandez
- Access key ID & Secret access key
- To obtain these, go to AWS, create an IAM user, add the user to a group, get the Access key ID & Secret access key. For more details, see Obtain AWS credentials
Step by step in Abiquo:
- Edit the Abiquo user that is going to deploy the VM to add their SSH public key. (If this is your user, put your current password on the first tab of "Edit user")
- Create a public cloud region (PCR) and select the provider (Amazon) and the regions that would you like to use
- Create a virtual datacenter, and select the previously created PCR as location
- Add a public IP to the virtual datacenter.
- Add an inbound firewall rule to the virtual datacenter to allow the SSH protocol from the desired IP (or 0.0.0.0/0 if you don't know it, but be aware of the security implications)
- Create a virtual appliance
- Go to the Apps Library, click the import template button, and enter a name text (ubuntu, linux, aws, etc.) to speed up the search, click the search button and wait. Select a template and import it.
- You can also find the AMI IDs of some common templates from the selection shown in the Amazon EC2 quick launch wizard
- Go to the virtual datacenter and double click or drag and drop the template to create a VM, but don't deploy it.
- Edit the VM, on the Network tab add a private IP from the Amazon public subnet (example: subnet-0ba440367e208713c) and a public IP to the VM.
- If you are not using the default firewall policy, go to Firewall and select the appropriate policy.
- Save the VM.
- Deploy the VM.
*In case of an error deploying the VM, check the error message and if it's something like "Virtualization type 'XXX' is required for instances of type XXX ..." try another hardware profile, usually a higher one, that can make use of the Virtualization version of the Region selected.
To connect by SSH to the VM use the Amazon default instance user:
If you cannot connect due to an unsecured certificate error, open a new tab in the same browser, enter the host IP of the VM, and accept the certificate.