This tutorial describes how to create a cloud and deploy a VM. In this tutorial you will perform the tasks of the cloud administrator, enterprise administrator and enterprise user.
Please see the Abiquo Walkthrough for further general introductory information.
This tutorial assumes that the Abiquo platform and a cloud node hypervisor have been set up. For detailed information, see Installation instructions in the Abiquo Infrastructure Guide.
Log in as Cloud Administrator using the default account with the following data:
- Username: admin
- Password: xabiquo
If there is an Unlicensed link in the top right corner of the screen, click on it to open the License tab in Configuration View. Click on Request a trial license. Click on the add button, then cut and paste the key from the license file into the box. Click Save.required, contact Abiquo to obtain your trial license
Create the Infrastructure
The cloud administrator creates the cloud infrastructure for the enterprise administrators and users.
Open Infrastructure View by clicking the servers icon at the top of the screen.
Create a Datacenter
- On the Private tabGo to Infrastructure → Private
- At the bottom of the Datacenters list, click the + add button in the top left corner
- Enter the Name of your Datacenter and its Location ( in Google Maps format). Click , then click Next.
- Enter the IP address details of the Remote Servicesremote services. Abiquo uses Remote Services to connect to the providers and manage the cloud.
- In the first Remote services IP address field, enter the IP of the machine running the Remote Services.
- If the Remote Services are all running on the same machine, enter the machine's address in the first box and click the link to Duplicate IP Addresses
- Click Check All allto confirm that Abiquo can access the remote services.
- Select Automatically open datacenter after creation.
- Click Save
Click the help button in the top left-hand side of a pop-up to view the help screen for that pop-up.
Add a Rack
An Abiquo rack is a logical entity that can mirror a physical rack with a top of the rack switch. Configure Abiquo racks to match the VLAN configuration of your switch.If the Datacenter is not open, go to Infrastructure View and click on the Datacenter name.
To create a new rack, at the top
- Go to Infrastructure → Private → select the datacenter → Servers
- At the bottom of the Physical Servers servers list, click the + add button and select Rack
- Enter the Rack name Name and click Save.
Add a Cloud Node
A cloud node is the physical machine and hypervisor host. To create a new physical machine:
- Select your rack and click the + add button and select Physical Machinemachine
- Select the hypervisor Hypervisor type and enter the IP address or FQDN, and any other connection details as required
- Click Accept to open the create physical machine form at the General Information tabEnter . If you are working with a hypervisor manager, such as vCenter, select the physical machine and click Edit
- On the General information tab, enter the Name of the physical machine
- Go the to Network Interfaces Tab and set the virtual switch interface for your machine to Service Network.
- Go to the Datastores tab and select the datastore and mark the checkbox to enable it
- Note: On KVM in this simple test example, you can use the / directory, but Abiquo recommends that you create a separate partition for the KVM datastore
- Return to the General Information tab and click Check to check confirm that the physical machine . State is Managed
- Click Accept
The Cloud Node will be added platform will add the physical machine to the rack and displayed display it in the tree view of the Infrastructure Servers tab.
Add VM Templates to the Appliance Library
The Appliance library (Apps library) stores VM templates so that users can easily create VMs from them. VM templates can be downloaded from a remote repository or uploaded from a local machine. The appliance library templates are available to the virtual datacenters.
- Open the Apps library view by clicking the icon.
- Select the Datacenter and Go to Apps library → Virtual machine templates
- Select the datacenter
- To load existing templates, beside the datacenter name, click the Refresh button beside the datacenter name to load any existing templates
- In the Virtual machine templates pane, click the + add button and select the Create from remote template repository option
- Click on Select the Remote Repository repository to see display a list of the available templates.Click in the box beside a template to select it
- Select one or more templates
- Click Download
- You can download any VM template and a background V2V process will convert it to all formats for deployment in any cloud node hypervisor.
You The platform will see display the templates you downloaded templates in the Apps library.
Create an Enterprise
In Abiquo, cloud tenants are called Enterprises.
- Open the Users View by clicking the icon.Go to Users
- At the top bottom of the Enterprises list, click the + add button to add a new enterprise.
- Enter the Name of the tenant
- To allow your users to deploy, enable a datacenter for the enterprise. Click on the Datacenters tab, select a Datacenter, and drag and drop it to add it to the Allowed Datacenters list.
Back in User's view, click the Go to Datacenters → drag datacenters into the Allowed datacenters list
- Click Save
- Go to Users → Users click the + add button to add a user, and enter the details for a cloud administrator. Then create an enterprise administrator and a user.
Create a Virtual Datacenter
Virtual datacenters organize the infrastructure for providing the cloud service. From here users can create VMs in virtual appliances and the Abiquo platform will deploy them to the infrastructure.
- Open the Virtual Datacenters view Go to Virtual datacenters by clicking the cloud icon
- Click the add button at the top of the Virtual Datacenters list At the bottom of the V. datacenters list, click the + add button and select Create virtual datacenter
- Enter a name Name, and select the Datacenter and if necessary a Hypervisor type
Create and Deploy a Virtual Appliance
Create a Virtual Appliance
A virtual appliance is a container for a group of VMs running in a virtual datacenter. It is like a folder that can contain a related set of VMs that are used to provide a service. For example, a web stack. At the virtual appliance level, you can deploy these VMs together, view their performance statistics, create anti-affinity layers for VM high availability, and so on.
To manage each group of VMs, create a virtual appliance:
- Select the a virtual datacenter.In
- the Go to Virtual Appliances pane, click
- Click the + add button and enter the name Name of the virtual appliance, then click Save.
The virtual appliance you create will appear in the Virtual Appliances appliances list. For more details, see Manage Virtual Appliances.
Add VM templates to create VMs
- Click on the virtual appliance name to To open your virtual applianceDrag and drop VM templates into the virtual appliance , click Open
- Click Create VM
- Select a template from the list of available and compatible templates.
- Click Save
Deploy the Virtual Appliance
Click the Deploy button to deploy the virtual appliance.
The platform will deploy all the VMs and power them on.
You can select the deployed VMs and manage them with the control buttons in the lower right corner of the screen.