Abiquo offers users self-service deployment of virtual machines VMs from virtual machine VM templates in the Apps Library and administrators . Administrators can upload templates to private cloud or import templates to public cloud regions. Administrators can also add a template when capturing or onboarding a virtual machine that was created outside of the platformAnd the platform can create templates from captured or onboarded VMs. And remember that administrators can also use template mobility to export compatible templates from private cloud datacenters to other datacenters or public cloud regions.
Abiquo uses virtual machine templates (VM template definitions and disks) to create virtual machines VMs in the hypervisor. To add templates, users need the Upload virtual machine template privilege. The main methods used to add templates in private cloud are user interface upload or manual upload.
- The user interface upload requires an OVA file or a virtual disk file. You can only upload one file and an OVA file can have multiple disks, so this is the recommended method. Abiquo supports OVA files exported from hypervisors, e.g. VMware ESXi. If you upload a virtual disk file, you must edit the template to add more disks. And you will need to know the disk format and deployed size. If it is an ISO file, you can use it to install an operating system or software. Y
- The manual upload can be used for very large templates with one or more disks. It requires the virtual disk file(s) and an OVF definition. See OVF Reference
- In private cloud, when you capture a virtual machine VM that was created outside of Abiquo, its template is NOT automatically stored in the Apps library. To store the template, create an Abiquo instance template.
Abiquo uses virtual machine templates (VM template definitions and provider disks or registry templates) to create machines VMs in public cloud and Docker regions.
- You can search for VM templates in public cloud regions and import their VM template definitions into the Abiquo Apps Library. You can then change how the templates will be presented to your users, for example, by renaming the templates them or changing their icons. Abiquo will maintain a link to deploy the original public cloud template.
- When you onboard a virtual machine VM from public cloud, Abiquo will automatically register its template in the Apps library.